Now Playing

Fleetwood Mac

Go Your Own Way

Clerk of the Course 'very mindful' around costs of TT

Picture credit: Manx Radio

But Gary Thompson says budget to run meeting has never been cut

The clerk of the course for the Isle of Man TT Races says organisers remain 'very mindful' of rising costs associated with running the event.

Gary Thompson agrees certain costs are 'spiraling' in areas but says his allocated budget to run the racing fortnight remains in place and has never had to be cut.

Last year regular weather disruption forced multiple changes to the schedule including the cancellation of the iconic Senior race.

The current 10-race programme has been criticised by some as being too crowded but Mr Thompson told Manx Radio he believes changes to the format this year will help things run as smoothly as possible:

Numerous changes have been made to the qualifying and race programme for 2026.

Included in those is an increase in rest days, from two to three, which will see an additional rest day during qualifying week on Thursday, 28 May whilst the day before (27 May) will now be a double-header of afternoon and evening timed practice.

There's also been switches to the running order of different solo races in race week - one of those sees the opening Superstock race as the first race of the whole event on Saturday, 30 May whilst the first Supersport contest - which was the previous curtain-raiser - has been moved to Tuesday, 2 June.

Outside of the action on the Snaefell Mountain Course, Mr Thompson has also issued a stern warning to anyone who flouts rules as spectators or members of the public, stating there will be 'harsh penalties' for anyone who is caught accessing closed roads during sessions or flying drones in the vicinity of the course.

More from Isle of Man News